Digital Radio is a better version of radio as it uses digital signals to send information instead of analogue signals like AM or FM radios. It has clearer reception and better sound quality. In some cases, it also provides on-screen information and the ability to pause and rewind. The importer and manufacturer of digital radio also need WPC License to operate in India.
Meaning of WPC in WPC License Online Application
WPC, also known as Wireless Planning and Coordination, is part of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology. It is the National Radio Regulatory Authority which is responsible for frequency spectrum management, licensing and meeting all needs of wireless gadget users.
WPC issues Licenses for IT and electronic devices to meet the demands of wireless technology users. All manufacturers, importers, suppliers and traders must file the WPC License Online Application. Only WPC-approved wireless and electronic items that operate on unlicensed frequency bands and meet human safety regulations are allowed to be sold in our country.
The items included under WPC are Bluetooth, wireless local area network access technology (WiFi), digital radios and radio frequency identification (RFID), etc.
Departments of WPC
The main function of WPC is to issue amateur radio licenses with monitoring and allocation of the frequency spectrum. Various WPC departments are liable for different responsibilities, such as:
- Licensing and Regulation (LR)
This Department is considered for the purpose of regulations and licensing of WPC Approval. This manages all work connected with regulation and licensing under WPC.
- New Technology Group
This Department administers the area with reference to the use of process and technology if there is a utilisation of any new technology.
- SACFA, Standing Advisory Committee on Radio Frequency Allocation
This Department is for carrying out different recommendations with reference to the radio frequency and other suggestions related to ITU, International Telecom Union.
Different approvals issued by WPC
WPC issues different types of approvals, and they are as follows:
- Equipment Type Approval (ETA)
- Type Approval
- Experimental Approval
- Dealer and non-Dealer Possession Licenses (DPL and NDPL)
- Import Licenses for the radio equipment
Eligibility Criteria for WPC License Online Application
There can be different kinds of applicants, and each kind’s eligibility criteria are provided. Following are kinds and their eligibility criteria under WPC:
For Manufacturers and Importers
- As notified by WPC, importers and manufacturers of Bluetooth, WiFi and other similar devices must obtain WPC License and License to import before selling the products in the Indian market.
For Representative Appointed
- If the Applicant is a foreign manufacturer, it must select an authorised agent for making the application and obtaining the WPC License in India. The authorised representative can be a corporation representing the foreign company in the filing process in India regarding WPC Licenses.
For Results of Frequency
- The frequency result of the particular wireless devices must be present in the results at all times.
For ISO Laboratories’ Report
- When the product is manufactured in our country, there is no requirement for specific in-country testing. It only requires a specific RF (Radio Frequency) report to be obtained from an ISO/IEC 17025 recognised laboratory.
For De-Licensed Frequency Bands Are Required
- All devices should work on the specific de-licensed frequency bands, and it is required that all devices with wireless capacity must be capable of working on the de-licensed frequency bands.
For Sheet of Technical Information
- The Applicant should have the technical data sheet on hand, which can be obtained by making a request to the relevant authority.
Products Covered under WPC License Online Application
WPC License is mandatory for wireless devices such as Bluetooth, WiFi, Zigbee, etc., in our country. The following are the categories under which the products that require a WPC license fall:
- Any other similar category
Only frequencies on unlicensed brands are allowed. The frequency ranges should never exceed the limit the Department of WPC specified. Every Applicant must know the exact frequencies that they are allowed to use.
However, some devices are excluded from ETA, and they require self-declaration only and do not require filing a WPC License Online Application. The Department notified this on 26th February 2018.
These exempted/excluded devices are as follows:
- mobile phones,
- smart watches,
- electronic accessories,
- any other wireless or Bluetooth devices and
- any short-range devices
Basic Requirement for WPC License Online Application
A basic requirement for WPC License for digital radio is as follows:
For foreign manufacturers
- If the foreign manufacturer has no liaison or branch office in India, then he has to appoint an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR).
- If a foreign manufacturer has the liaison office/branch office in India, then he becomes AIR.
- And also, in the case of import license, a foreign manufacturer has to appoint an AIR.
For domestic manufacturers
- The domestic manufacturer directly applies for WPC License without nominating AIR.
Documents required for WPC License Online Application
Documents required while filling an Online application for WPC License for digital radio are as follows:
- Photo ID proof of Applicant,
- Aadhar card, Voter ID card, and PAN Card
- Arms and Driving License
- Department ID
- Freedom Fighter ID card
- Ration Card
- Address Proof of the Applicant
- Proof of Possession of Premises like Sale deed, Rent agreement, Utility Bill, etc.
- MOA, Company Incorporation Certificate or Partnership Deed
- Letter Head which is scanned, signed and stamped,
- Radio Frequency Exposure Report (RF Report) with a detailed report about the functionality and performance of the digital radios (Zigbee), wireless local area network access technology (WiFi), and the radio frequency identification (RFID).
- Product Technical Guide, including all the documents with technical details such as the user manual of the products.
Procedure for WPC License Online Application
The steps to apply for WPC License for a digital radio are as follows:
- Applicant first checks the EN Standard and frequency range in the RF test report of his digital radio (product)
- If the frequency range is under mandatory devices, then the Applicant will issue a self-declaration certificate.
- After verification of frequency range from Radio Frequency, Test Report is done then, and then all required documents are collected
- Applicant submits an online application with the products and categories on Saral Sanchar Portal.
- The system generates an application ID with other login credentials after the successful submission of the application.
- The prescribed Government fee is paid online.
- A hard copy of the application with all required documents and an RF test report is also submitted to the WPC office.
- After getting satisfaction with the documents and test report, the WPC issues a License for Digital Radio.
Post compliance after getting WPC License Online Application
There are specific post-compliance requirements an applicant must comply with after getting the WPC License:
- The Applicant must ensure and confirm equipment conforms to the frequency bandwidths requirements.
- The Applicant maintains the specific records and submits them to the appropriate Ministry or Department accordingly.
- The Applicant must ensure to update the Ministry or appropriate Department about any modification or change related to any wireless equipment.
A WPC License is required by anyone who desires to do business with wireless devices in India. The Applicant filed the WPC License Online Application with all documents, including a test report of the Radio Frequency range. The application with all required documents is, however, submitted further at WPC Office in hard copy too. The Applicant must satisfy some pre-requisites before applying for the WPC License. Once the License is granted, it is for a lifetime, and there is no requirement for renewal.
Read our Article:WPC Certificate for Import of Bluetooth Headphones