Without a standard quality and recognised product, it is difficult to survive in the market in this competitive environment. A BIS licence is necessary to sell goods in the Indian market. The manufacturer must ensure that their product complies with the required Indian standard to receive BIS certification and generate a standard-grade product. The IS 4430:1979 standard applies to wrought mould steels. These are frequently utilised for low melting-point non-ferrous alloy die casting and plastic moulds. For each nugget to be devoid of piping, segregation, and other manufacturing defects, there must be enough reduction and discards. The final product must be free of internal and external flaws, including piping, cracks, seams, flakes, and segregation. Dimensional tolerances must follow the prescribed guidelines. The final product must go through a check analysis. The main specifications for material supply are outlined in 1387:1967. It must be tested to ensure the material conforms to the standards’ requirements. In this write-up, we will discuss BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels.
What is BIS ISI Mark?
ISI is a short form for Indian Standards Institute, the National Standards body renamed Bureau of Indian Standards in 1987. The BIS ISI mark is the standard mark provided to manufacturers through the BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) for various products. The BIS ISI mark has been considered a mark of safety, purity, and trust since 1955. The BIS ISI mark has served as a conformity mark for industrial products. It ensures that the product complies with an Indian Standard established through the Indian national standards organisation, the Bureau of Indian Standards. BIS ISI Certification is obtaining the BIS ISI mark for any product that complies with Indian Standards. Several electrical appliances need mandatory BIS ISI marks like Electric Iron, Room AC, Freezers, Room Heaters, Electric Stoves, Electric cables, and other products like Rubber & Leather footwear, UPVC Pipes, Composite Cements, various acids, etc.
Benefits of BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels
Following are the benefits of obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels:
- BIS ISI Certificate allows the manufacturer uninterrupted manufacturing & selling of their products in India.
- BIS ISI mark on any item ensures consumers’ health and safety and develops trust.
- A BIS ISI Certificate allows manufacturers to produce products in the mandatory certification scheme. Manufacturing these products without a BIS ISI certificate could result in a substantial fine and imprisonment.
- A BIS ISI-certified product ensures high quality & consumer satisfaction, which increases revenue.
Documents Required to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels
Following are some vital documents required to obtain BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels:
- The registered address of the manufacturing unit;
- A copy of the product test report by a BIS authorised laboratory;
- A copy of the Certification of Registration;
- Information of all (only applicable tests from corresponding Indian standards) the equipment used for testing;
- A copy of the Company’s bank statement;
- Flow chart followed in the manufacturing process;
- Packaging information like the size of the product, storage facility, quantity, etc.;
- Proof of Indian Residency;
- The disposing technique of the inferior product;
- A copy of Trademark Registration (if any);
- Layout Plan of the Factory;
- All the information regarding the quality control staff like Name, Experience, Designation, and Qualification;
- Particulars about the raw material being used;
- Product drawing;
- All the details regarding manufacturing machinery installed;
- Utility bills such as electricity bills, water tax receipts;
Procedure to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels
The process for obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Mould Steels in India involves the following steps:
Step 1: Select the Product Code: The first step is to select a product code that fulfils the guidelines prescribed by the BIS. The applicant needs to identify and choose an Indian standard product code for their product.
Step 2: Fill up the Application form to Obtain BIS ISI Certification: After selecting the product code, the applicant needs to apply for BIS ISI Certification online at the Manakonline portal and pay the required certification fees. Moreover, the applicant must pay audit fees and registration fees for further inspection.
Note: The applicant must file separate BIS ISI forms for each product manufactured.
Step 3: Inspection of the Factory Premise through the BIS Officer: The BIS Officer & the BIS authorised Inspection team will visit the applicant’s manufacturing premises. Further, the Inspection team will thoroughly check the applicant’s factory quality control and manufacturing unit. The BIS Officer & inspection team will collect some products as samples and send the same for testing in a BIS recognised laboratory.
Step 4: Submit Product Sample Test Report – The applicant needs to get the product samples test report from the authorised labs and submit it to BIS.
Step 5: Issuance of BIS ISI Certificate – Once the procedure of applying & verifying the submitted vital documents, product test report, and application form is completed, the BIS Authority issues a BIS ISI Mark Certification. Usually, the process of acquiring BIS ISI Mark Certification takes around the time of 1 month, starting from the date of application form submission. Further, the issued BIS ISI Certificate is valid for 2 years, and the same is qualified to renew after expiry. To get the BIS ISI Certificate renewed, the applicant must file an application form duly certified by a Practising Chartered Accountant.
If the products are covered under the BIS Conformity Assessment Scheme, all manufacturers, foreign entities, and importers must obtain BIS ISI Certification. The Bureau may cancel the BIS Certification if the products fail to meet certification standards requirements.