Case Hardening Steels are used in automotive, mechanical, and plant engineering of parts like Cardan shafts, gears, coupling parts, and bolts. IS 4432: 1988 covers Case Hardening Steels. This Indian Standard specifies the technical delivery requirements for case-hardening wrought low carbon alloyed & unalloyed steel bars, rods, billets, and finished forgings. Generally, the steels are intended for forgings & the fabrication of case-hardened machines/automobile parts. Case hardening refers to parts that have been carbonitrided or carburized on their surface and then hardened to manufacture a high degree of hardness in the surface zone. At the same time, the core material is relatively tough. The general requirements for material supply will conform to IS 1387: 1967. The material needs to be free from the surface and internal flaws that could impair the steel’s enforceability or harm the parts’ mechanical properties. The recommended temperature for hot working & heat treatments aimed at controlling hardness, shearability, machinability, and other properties is specified in the standard. In this write-up, we will discuss BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels.
What is BIS ISI?
The Bureau of Indian Standards was renamed the Indian Standards Institute (ISI) by the National Standards body in 1987. The ISI Mark is a standard mark for a range of items and it has been used as a compliance mark for industrial items. It attests to the product’s adherence to Indian Standards (IS) established by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). Any product that complies with Indian Standards must undergo an ISI Certification to receive the BIS ISI Mark. The ISI Mark is required on products like electric irons, space heaters, air conditioners, stoves, freezers, electric cables, UPVC pipes, rubber and leather footwear, composite cement, various acids, etc.
Basic Requirements for BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels
Following are some essential requirements for getting BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels, as listed below:
- The product needs to meet the BIS Standard criteria.
- BIS ISI Certification is only given to the manufacturer, not the Distributor/Retailer.
- In case a manufacturer has multiple manufacturing unit locations, each is located at a distinct geographical location address. In that case, the applicant must file a separate application form for each product and manufacturing location.
- The BIS-recognized laboratory should be fully equipped with product sample testing facilities & qualified quality control personnel to test the product under the applicable ISS.
- All production machinery & product sample testing facilities should be located in the factory according to ISS norms & respective SIT.
- The technical guidelines are available for each product covered under the Product Certification Scheme as ‘Product/user Manuals’. Product manuals include a list of test equipment, sampling guidelines, a Scheme of audit and Testing, a description of the scope, etc. Applicants can refer to this Product/ user Manual for BIS ISI Certification to prepare for the audit and application submission so that chances of rejection can be avoided.
Documents Required to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels
Following are some vital documents required to obtain BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels:
- The registered address of the manufacturing unit;
- A copy of the Certification of Registration;
- Flow chart followed in the manufacturing process;
- A copy of the product test report by a BIS authorized laboratory;
- Information of all (only applicable tests from corresponding Indian standards) the equipment used for testing;
- A copy of the Company’s bank statement;
- Proof of Indian Residency;
- The disposing technique of the inferior product;
- A copy of Trademark Registration (if any);
- Layout Plan of the Factory;
- All the details regarding the quality control staff, such as Name, Experience, Qualification, and Designation;
- Packaging information like the size of the product, storage facility, quantity, etc.;
- Particulars about the raw material being used;
- Product drawing;
- All the details regarding manufacturing machinery installed;
- Utility bills such as electricity bills, water tax receipts;
Procedure to Obtain BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels
Two different procedures can obtain the BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels in a normal and simplified process:
Normal Process to Obtain BIS ISI Certification
Step 1: First, the applying party has to prepare for the BIS ISI Certification requirements, especially setting in-house laboratory & preparing products as per Indian Standards with other important required documents.
Step 2: Afterward, the BIS officer & inspection team will conduct an audit process of products along with the factory or industry premises.
Step 3: Once the audit gets completed, the sealed product samples of the product are further sent for testing at the BIS-recognized laboratory.
Step 4: If the product completes each test parameter, it only obtains approval from the BIS. The authority grants the BIS ISI Certificate to Indian Manufacturers.
Simplified Process to Obtain BIS ISI Certification
Step 1: Initially, the applying party submits the test report of the product samples already tested and approved by BIS according to Indian Standard.
Step 2: The applicant must submit a BIS online registration application form, BIS ISI Certification Cost, and other important required documents.
Step 3: During scrutiny of application & documents, the BIS official and inspection team will inspect products and the factory/industry.
Step 4: Once the inspection gets completed, the sealed product samples of the product are further sent for testing at the BIS-recognized labs.
Step 5: The BIS grants the certificate if verified and approved as per the specified standards.
Testing and Marking Process for Obtaining BIS ISI Certification for Case Hardening Steels
The testing process includes-
- Chemical composition;
- Ultrasonic test;
- Grain size;
- Hardness test;
- Mechanical properties;
- Dimensional tolerances;
- Additional tests.
All bars will be marked with material designation, name, and heat number or trademark of the manufacturer. The ISI Mark may also be applied to the material. The manufacturer needs to obtain a BIS ISI Certification from the BIS to use an ISI Mark. The BIS grants a certificate based on a successful assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, manufacturing process, and quality control & testing capabilities during a visit to its manufacturing units.
At last, the manufacturers or importers of products must take BIS ISI Certification (BIS Marking) if their product is covered in the scope of the BIS Conformity Assessment Scheme. In case of violating the license’s conditions, the Bureau may cancel the license as per Regulation 11 of BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018.