For the establishment of any business, it is mandated to acquire all the necessary approvals from the appropriate governmental authorities. One of the essential mandatory approval for the establishment of a Leather Business is obtaining Consent to Operate from the Haryana State Pollution Control Board, which is also known as HSPCB.
The new manufacturing units are required to obtain Consent to operate in Haryana in accordance with the Water Act, 1974 and the Air Act, 1981 prior to initiation of any manufacturing process.
The Types of Consent Provided by HSPCB
There are two specific types of Consents provided by the Haryana State Pollution Control Board specified below –
- Consent to Establish –
- The Consent to Establish is mandatory to be obtained for the establishment of the Leather Industry, Plant, or Business. The Consent to Establish, which is also known as the CTE, is recognised as a Primary Clearance.
- Consent to Operate –
- The Consent to Operate is required after the establishment of the Leather Industry, Plant or Business in accordance with the Pollution Control Systems; the production units mandatorily need to acquire the Consent to Operate.
Documents for Consent to Operate in Haryana
The following Documents are mandated to be submitted while applying for Consent to Operate in Haryana for Leather Business –
- A Copy of the Consent to Establish
- The Layout Plan that showcases the details of the production procedure
- The latest Evaluation Report of the Solid Waste, Effluent, Hazardous Waste and Fuel Gases to be produced in the manufacturing process
- The Balance Sheet of the Production Company, along with a duly self-attested copy of the CA or CS Certificate
- A Detailed Plan Layout of the Land, if the waste is dispatched on the premises for filtration
- The Occupation Certificate is authorised to be issued by the Town or Country Planning Department for Building and Construction Projects
- A copy of the Memorandum of Articles or the Partnership Deed
Procedure for Consent to Operate in Haryana
The following is the procedure for the Consent to Operate in Haryana for Leather Business –
- Various sectors of Industries and their particular projects have been categorised into Red, Orange, Green and White, which is determined by the basis of pollution being emitted along with the toxicity level and range of the Pollution Index in accordance with the consent management under Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.
- The Leather Industry falls under the Red Category, classified as a Polluting Industry. The utilisation of various chemicals for the processing of various leather products results in the production of wastes in the forms of solid, liquid and gaseous states. This results in the chemicals being generated from the wastes causing Soil, Atmospheric, Water and Air Pollution.
- The State Government of Haryana is directed by the Central Government to establish necessary infrastructure such as Waste Treatment Plants for treating pollutants, along with providing the public residing near the applicable Leather Industry with a subsidy for the establishment of Treatment Plants for the in-house waste being produced.
- For the purpose of issuance of the Consent to Operate in Haryana for establishing and operating a Leather Industry, the applicant needs to submit the necessary application along with the above-mentioned documents and the required fees to the Haryana State Pollution Control Board.
- Then the Haryana State Pollution Control Board is required to conduct an offline inspection where the mentioned premises is scrutinised, and the Environmental Management System is assessed to ensure that the mandated compliance measures are being maintained in accordance with the Haryana State Pollution Control Board.
The Validity and Renewal of Consent to Operate in Haryana
The Validity of the Consent to Operate in Haryana is five years, as the leather business is categorised in the Red Category. For the Renewal of the Consent to Operate, the applicant needs to submit the renewal application under the Consent Management and Monitoring System of the Haryana State Pollution Control Board prior to the last date of expiration of the latest applicable Consent to Operate. In case of violation of any regulation, the accused is to be liable for a penalty which can extend to Ten Thousand Rupees or imprisonment of up to three months.
The mandate for Consent to Operate in Haryana for the leather business was implied for the purpose of having control over the quantity of waste pollutants being emitted. The HSPCB has the responsibility to ensure that the natural water bodies or the groundwater being extracted are not being polluted especially from the Leather Industry which is categorised under the Red Category.
Read our Article:Consent to Establish and Consent to Operate from SPCB