Electric Irons are an essential part of our daily life. We need our clothes to be crease-less and wrinkle-free. Especially on working days, irons are a necessary part of making us look professional. There are two types of irons – Steam and Dry Irons. Both of them are made by Iron Manufacturers that are perfect for the modern age. Domestic electric irons typically operate at temperatures ranging from 121°C (250°F) to 182°C (360°F). This is named for the metal (Iron) from that it was historically fashioned, and it is used is commonly referred to as ironing, the final step in the laundry procedure. In this blog, we will learn about BIS for Electric Iron.
Important Information about BIS for Electric Iron
- This is not easy to survive in the market without a standard certified and quality product. BIS License is required to sell electric Iron in the Indian market. To get BIS ISI Certification & product standard quality products, the manufacturer needs to ensure their product must follow the specified IS (Indian standard) – IS 302 (Part 2/Sec 3) cover Iron.
- The BIS adopted this standard (Part 2/Sec 3) after the Electrotechnical Division Council approved the draft finalized under the Electrical Appliances Sectional Committee. This Indian Standard specifies the Iron’s safety requirements.
- This standard addresses the safety requirements of electric steam & dry irons for domestic and similar purposes, including those with a separate water boiler or reservoir with a capacity of not more than 5 litres & rated voltages of not more than 250 V.
- This standard is applies to appliances which are not intended for everyday household use but may still pose a risk to the public, like those used by non-professionals in shops, farms, and light industries.
Grouping Guidelines for BIS for Electric Iron
- IS 302-2-3: 2007 covers the safety of the following vital types of Electric Irons:
- Dry Iron – With Cord
- Dry Iron – Cordless
- Vented Steam Iron – With Cord
- Vented Steam Iron – Cordless
- Pressurized Steam Iron – With Cord
- Pressurized Steam Iron – Cordless
- Instantaneous Steam Iron – With Cord
- Instantaneous Steam Iron – Cordless
- For CSoL/GoL, the following grouping will be considered, provided the samples are of the same Type, Grade, Class & Rating:
- Group 1- up to & including 1000 W
- Group II- above 1000 W
- One sample from every group, preferably of the highest wattage intended to be covered in the licence, shall be drawn for testing to cover the entire range of wattages in that group. Nevertheless, if a particular kind of Iron tested is with a cold, cordless variety of which, that kind may also be covered and vice-versa.
- During the operation of the BIS license, BO shall ensure that every variety covered in the license is tested in rotation to the extent possible.
- The Firm will declare the varieties of electric irons they intend to cover in the license. The purpose of the BIS license may be restricted based on the manufacturing capability & testing facilities of the manufacturer.
Benefits of BIS ISI Mark Certification for Electric Iron
Following are the benefits of obtaining BIS ISI Mark Certification for Electric Iron:
- BIS ISI Mark electric iron gets a better response in the market from the customers compared to the non-certified electric Iron.
- From looking at the BIS ISI Mark, buyers get a sense of assurance in terms of the quality of the electric Iron.
- A BIS ISI Mark electric iron offers assurance for better performance and longer life of the electric Iron.
- It offers a sense of faith to customers that the products they buy are worth it.
- Take you ahead of competitors not certified with the BIS ISI mark.
Documents required to get BIS for Electric Iron
Following are some vital documents required for BIS for Electric Iron:
- Details and Documents of Factory Registration;
- Adequate Testing Facilities;
- Identify Proof;
- Details of Authorized Signatory and other related documents;
- Flow chart of the manufacturing process;
- Report of Lab testing and other information as per BIS norm;
- Quality Control Parameters and their records.
Process for BIS for Electric Iron
Following are the procedure to obtain BIS for Electric Iron:
- Documentation: before applying for certification, prepare the required documentation.
- Application Submission: Fill out the application along and submit the required documents.
- Scrutiny: Scrutiny of application is done by BIS officials.
- BIS Inspection: The inspection of factory premises and manufacturing facilities.
- Sample Testing: Conducting a test of the product by BIS authorized Lab.
- Grant of BIS ISI Mark for Electric Iron.
Hence, consumers need to look for the BIS ISI Mark while buying an electric iron. As we can see, obtaining such a BIS License to use this is quite difficult. Keeping trust that the process is being followed is as good a guarantee of safety and quality as one can get today.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS Certification in India?