The Steel market will have to produce BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) certified steel products as the Centre has made the Certification mandatory. As per BIS guidelines, all domestic & foreign companies cannot manufacture, import, distribute or store steel products if they do not follow the standards and do not bear the ISI mark. In this article, we will study the BIS ISI for Steel Products.
What is Steel?
Steel is an alloy used for various traditional applications, including construction, aircraft industries, automotive, transport infrastructure, high-level industrial equipment, and many more. Considering the use of steel, it is essential to maintain its quality; else, it could harm the economy or us because infrastructure development is one of the vital aspects of economic growth. Moreover, according to the report for the year 2021, the steel demand was expected to grow by 16.7%. Further in 2022.
Which BIS Certification is Applicable on Steel Products
The following are BIS Certification applies to Steel Products:
- Indian Standards Institute (ISI): The certificate scheme by BIS confirms that a product withstands the BIS standards that ensure safety.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS): According to the BIS Act, 2016 and the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018, BIS has the power to provide a license to foreign manufacturers to sell products in the Indian market.
Note: Only ISI and FMCS are applicable for Steel products through all these Certification schemes.
The Objectives of a BIS ISI Certification
Following are the Objectives of the BIS ISI Certification:-
- It ensures the delivery of high-quality goods to customers;
- Mitigating goods rejections;
- It provides better growth prospects to the business;
- Reducing wastage of resources & thereby minimising the manufacturing costs;
- Enhancing customer satisfaction & increasing the goodwill of the company;
- Guaranteeing the safety & quality of the products.
The Procedure for Obtaining BIS ISI for Steel Products
The Procedure for Obtaining BIS ISI for Steel Products in India involves the following steps:
Step 1: Select the Product Code: The foremost step is to select a steel product’s code. The applicant needs to identify & choose an Indian Standard Institute (ISI) Standard product Code for their steel product.
Step 2: fulfil up the Application Form for obtaining BIS ISI for Steel Product: After selecting the steel product code, the applicant needs to apply for BIS ISI Certification. For this, the Form-V application is filled for obtaining BIS ISI certification with the required registration fees. Moreover, the applicant must pay audit fees and registration fees for further inspection.
Step 3: Inspection of the Factory area by the BIS Officer: The BIS Inspection team will visit the applicant’s factory location. Further, the team will thoroughly examine the quality control & manufacturing process of the applicant’s factory location. The Inspection team collected some steel products as samples and sent the same for testing in BIS authorised Lab.
Step 4: Submit a copy of the test report: The applicant needs to obtain the steel product samples report from the BIS authorised Lab.
Step 5: Issuance of ISI Certificate: Once the procedure of applying & verifying the documents, test report, & application form (Form-V) is completed, the BIS authority grants a certificate of ISI Mark Registration. Usually, acquiring BIS ISI for steel products takes 30 days, starting from the date of application submission. Further, the issued BIS ISI Certificate is valid for one year, and the same is qualified to renew before expiry. To continue the BIS ISI Certificate, the applicant must file an application duly certified by the Practising Chartered Accountant.
Some Important Points to Consider for BIS ISI for Steel Products
The key pointers to consider BIS ISI Mark Certification in India are as follows:
- The seller needs specific BIS ISI mark certification information on every invoice.
- The BIS regularly monitors all the manufacturers.
- Anyone can file a complaint to BIS in case the steel product is not of good quality.
- The BIS Officer require three months to investigate a complaint filed against a manufacturer.
BIS ISI for Steel Products includes several parameters to meet according to the applicable standard, making certification complex and tedious. But, it is obligatory to obtain because it provides evidence of high quality, reliable, and safe products.
Read our Article:How to Obtain BIS Certification in India?