Cosmetics can be described as any article intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled, sprayed, introduced into, or applied to the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance. This definition also includes any article intended for use as a cosmetic component. The Drugs and Cosmetics Act 1940 and the Cosmetics Rules, 2020 regulate the manufacturing, sale, import, use, labelling or distribution of cosmetics in India. Whether it is for cosmetics made in India or imported from countries such as China, the USA, or any European country, it is mandatory to get CDSCO Registration in India to sell them in the Indian market. This article discusses the importance of CDSCO registration for importers, the registration process and the prohibition on cosmetics import in India.
Overview of the Cosmetics Market in India
The Indian cosmetics market is expanding speedily and has almost doubled from the US and European markets. According to a report, the cosmetics product market in India is expected to grow at a 4.23% CAGR during 2022-24. India is among the top cosmetics importers in the world. Keeping in mind the fast market growth rate, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has made it compulsory for all imported goods to get CDSCO Registration in India. Therefore, cosmetic importers in India must follow a set of fundamental requirements and rules to import cosmetic products regardless of whether they are starting or have already begun a cosmetic importing business in the country.
Why Cosmetic Importers Must Get CDSCO Registration in India ?
The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Cosmetics Rules, 2020, make it mandatory for cosmetics importers to get CDSCO Registration in India. Any item that comes under the definition of a cosmetic must be registered, along with information about its pack size, variants, and manufacturing location, before it can be imported in India. The Central Licensing Authority appointed under Rule 3(f), or a person to whom such powers are delegated under Rule 5 grants the registration to a cosmetic before it can be imported into India.
Any cosmetics importer needs to follow these rules to ensure the quality and security of cosmetics imported into India and the safety of consumers using such cosmetics. Importers need to get CDSCO Registration in India for the following reasons:
- CDSCO cosmetic import registration assists the cosmetic industry in staying on course and avoiding obstacles in selling their product in the Indian market.
- Cosmetics licence registration improves customer confidence in the entire industry, improves a company’s reputation, and ultimately increases revenue and turnover.
- Cosmetic import registration also guarantees the quality of the product and ensures that customers can use the products risk-free.
- The registration is necessary to maintain product safety and regulatory compliance with the cosmetics laws, rules, and other guidelines by the CDSCO.
- To evaluate the product efficacy of the imported cosmetic, it is crucial to get CDSCO Registration in India.
- To check whether the product can fulfil its promises of quality and benefits.
- To examine the product’s composition and preservatives to see if they prevent the growth of bacteria in the product.
Eligibility to Get CDSCO Registration in India for Cosmetics Import
The following applicants are eligible to get CDSCO Registration in India under the Drugs & Cosmetic Act, 1945 and Cosmetics Rules, 2020:
- Authorised Agent: Any agent the manufacturer has permitted to import cosmetics on their behalf.
- Indian Subsidiary of the Manufacturer: The Indian subsidiary company may submit a CDSCO Cosmetic Import Registration application on behalf of any foreign cosmetic manufacturer.
- Manufacturer: The manufacturer can directly apply for CDSCO Cosmetic Import Registration in India.
- Any Other Importer: This licence or registration is open to any Indian importer who wishes to bring cosmetics into India from a foreign manufacturer.
Process to Get CDSCO Cosmetic Import Registration in India
Step 1: The first step to getting CDSCO Registration in India is to apply for the import license in Form COS-1. The description of the cosmetics, the brand name, the pack size, and any variations must all be included on the form, along with information about the manufacturing facilities.
Step 2: The applicant must file Form COS-1 with the CDSCO Drugs Controller General along with a challan showing the payment in Indian Rupees, along with all the necessary documents.
Step 3: After verifying all the documents and application form submitted by the importer, the licensing authority provides the certificate in form Cos-2. After the registration certificate is issued, the registered Importer, distributor, or Indian authorised agent must present the registration certificate whenever the licencing authority requests it.
Prohibition on Cosmetics Import in India
The Cosmetic Rules, 2020 prohibit the import of different cosmetics to India if they fall under any of the following categories:
- If the sale or manufacture of a product is prohibited in its country of origin.
- If the expiry date or ‘use before’ or ‘use by’ date is less than six months from the date they are proposed to be imported into India.
- If the cosmetic contains ‘hexachlorophene.’
- If the cosmetic has been tested on animals.
Cosmetic products are highly chemically enhanced in nature due to their different components. Many cosmetics are produced using materials and chemicals that are harmful to humans. As the demand for foreign cosmetics has increased in recent, several concerns about the morality of how these products are made have surfaced. To guarantee that the cosmetics used in India are safe, risk-free, and of good quality, it is crucial to get CDSCO Registration in India. Therefore, every import business wishing to import cosmetics from China, the USA or any other country must obtain the cosmetic import certificate from the CDSCO to carry out its import activities legally and sell the products hassle-free to the Indian market. However, obtaining such certification can be tricky, and it is suggested to consult experienced CDSCO experts to quickly handle the documentation and CDSCO registration process.
Read our Article:CDSCO Certificate for Drugs Import to India: An Overview