Food safety and standards Authority or FSSAI is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. Central FSSAI license is required for food-related businesses such as Manufacturers, traders, restaurants, small eateries, grocery shop, importers, exporters, home-based food businesses, dairy farms, processors, retailers and e retailers. It is mandatory for food business operators who are running their businesses on a large scale or manufacturer having a turnover of more than 20 crores every year.
What do you mean by FSSAI Central license?
Central FSSAI License is obligated for all food businesses concerned in the production, storage, manufacturing, shipping, retailing and delivering of food products. The FSSAI License is allotted by the Central FSSAI regulator or State FSSAI Regulator.The FSSAI license is important to ensure the quality of food products. The issuance of Central License can take a time period of 30 days.
Know about the eligibility criteria of obtaining Central FSSAI License!
Food Operators have to take central FSSAI License if they are carrying business operations in more than one State. Central FSSAI License has to be obtained by following units:
|1.||Dairy units and chilling milk units equipped to handle process.||More than 50,000 litres of milk per day or 25000 MT of milk solid per annum.|
|2.||Vegetable oil processing units and vegetable producing units by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit.||More than 2 MT per day|
|3.||Slaughtering Units||Large Animals (more than 50) per day Small Animals (150 or more) per day Poultry Birds 1000 or more per day|
|4.||Meat Processing Units/Plants||More than 500 kg of meat on per day basis or 150 MT per annum|
|5.||All food processing units including relabellers or repackers||More than 2 MT per day except grains, cereals and pulse milling units.|
|7.||100% Export Oriented Units||All|
|Importers are importing food items which include food ingredients and additives for commercial use.||All|
|1.||Storage( Except controlled Atmosphere and cold)||Capacity more than 50,000 MT|
|2.||Storage (cold /refrigerated)||Capacity of more than 10,000 MT|
|3.||Storage (Controlled atmosphere+ cold)||Capacity more than 1,000 MT.|
|4.||Wholesaler||Turnover greater than 30 crores.|
|5.||Retailer||Turnover greater than 20 crores.|
|6||Distributor||Turnover greater than 20 crores|
|7||Supplier||Turnover greater than 20 crores.|
|8||Caterer||Turnover greater than 20 crores|
|9||Hotel||Five stars & above|
|10.||Restaurant||Turnover greater than 20 crores.|
|11.||Transporters||More than 100 vehicle/wagon or Turnover greater than 30 crores.|
|12.||Marketer||Turnover greater than 20 crores.|
Premises in Central government
|1.||Food catering services located in establishments and units under Central Government Agencies like defense etc.||Food Catering Services in Defense locations.|
|2.||Storage Wholesaler Retailer Distributor||Premises in Central Government Agencies|
Premises in Air/Seaport
|1.||All Food Catering services located in establishments and units under the Central Government Agencies like air and airport, seaport etc.||Food catering services at seaport located in Kandla, Tuticorin, Vishakhapatnam, Kolkata, Marmagoa, Cochin, Mumbai, Chennai, JNPT or Airport located at Kolkata, Tiruchy, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Amritsar, Cochin, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Ahemdabad.|
|2.||Storage Wholesaler Retailer Distributor||Premises at seaport located in Kandla, Tuticorin, Vishakhapatnam, Kolkata, Marmagoa, Cochin, Mumbai, Chennai, JNPT or Airport located at Kolkata, Tiruchy, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Amritsar, Cochin, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Ahmedabad.|
Read our article:A Full Guide on How to set up a Food Business in India
What are the documents required for obtaining Central FSSAI license?
In order to get Online Central FSSAI License applicants must have the following documents handy:
- Form B duly completed and signed in duplicate by the proprietor;
- Blueprint/layout of the plan of the processing unit disclosing overall measurements and allocation of manufacturing and operational unit. It is required for manufacturing and processing units only.
- The trustees’ name with full address and contact details.
- For manufacturing and processing units, the list of machinery along with the number installed capacity and horsepower used.
- Photo ID and Identity proof issued by Government authority to the proprietor/trustees/society members/partners or authorized signing Authority.
- In case of manufacturers, the list of food category desired to be manufactured.
- An authority letter with the name and address of a responsible person who will be held responsible along with the second responsible person describing the powers vested with them.
- An absolute analysis of water that is used for food processing. It is to be recognized by public health laboratory.
- Proof of possession of premises- this can include any of the following rent agreement/electricity bill/sale deeds etc.
- Partnership deed or self-declaration of proprietorship.
- Society resolution form and record of chairman and members along with address proof for a co-operative society.
- For a Charitable trust- The Trustee name and certificate.
- Partnership deed required in case of Partnership business.
- A copy of certificate issued by Coop Act 1861.
- Non-Objection Certificate and license copy in case of manufacturers.
- Food safety management plan or certificate if any available.
- The Source of milk or the procurement plan for milk, including the location of milk collection centers etc.
- The Source raw materials in case of meat and meat processing plants (wherever it is applicable).
- Pesticide residues and report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, mineral water or carbonated water etc.
- Recall plan with details on which the product is distributed.
- A Non-Objection Certificate (NOC) issued by the municipality or local authorities. It is optional.
- Ministry of commerce for 100% EDU.
- Supporting Documentary proof for Turnover.
- NOC/PA documents issued by FSSAI.
- IE CODE document issued by DGFT.
- Nomination of all persons by a company along with the Board Resolution mentioned in FORM IX.
- Certificate provided by the Ministry of tourism in case of hotels.
- Turnover Supporting documents / self-declaration of a number of vehicles for transporters.
- A declaration form.
What is the fee structure for FSSAI Central License?
What is the validity period of FSSAI Central License?
The maximum time period of validity of FSSAI License is five years, and the minimum time is one year. On completion of the License period, the license must be immediately renewed.
Are you looking for Central FSSAI License?
We at Corpbiz will guide you in obtaining Central FSSAI License. We have expert professionals who will help you in:
It is always beneficial to have a Central Food License. Most of the Companies don’t have food license. The Food Safety Department has exclusively chartered a portal for FSSAI Registration and licensing. Having a license can differ you from your competitors and make your business more reliable. So get a food license soon, contact us immediately! We will help you in getting through the complicated process in a hassle-free manner.
Read our article:How do you file a Complaint against Food Adulteration?