An Overview of GST Registration in Chennai
Online GST Registration in Chennai is an indirect tax on the supply of goods & services. GST (Goods and Services Tax) is launched by the Government of India, including all types of taxes. Before GST, there were many taxes like Service Tax, Entertainment Tax, Central Sales Tax, Luxury Tax, etc. GST Registration is needed for all businesses in Chennai that supply goods and/or services. Businesses must register for GST if their annual turnover is more than Rs. 20 lakhs per year for services and Rs. 40 Lakhs for Goods.
GST Registration is beneficial for businesses as it allows them to claim back any ITC or Input Tax Credit on purchases made from suppliers. Input Tax Credit can be claimed on eligible purchases made within India, which comprises both local & imported supplies. This results in significant savings for businesses as they effectively only pay tax on the value-added component of their products or services.
If you are running a business/planning to start a business in Bangalore, then it is mandatory for you to become GST Complaint. We at Corpbiz have professionals to simplify GST for business proprietors, and for this, our experts have built a process to create GST Compliant Invoices, track inventory, record expenses and finally automatically prepare GST-ready tax returns.
Benefits of GST Registration in Chennai
The following are the benefits of GST Registration in Chennai:
- Threshold is Higher: Earlier, under VAT, any business that had an annual turnover of more than Rs. 5 lakhs was liable to pay VAT. This limit was different in different states. Also, the service providers were exempted from the Service Tax if the turnover was less than Rs. 10 Lakhs. Under GST, the threshold has been increased to Rs. 20 lakhs which has been exempted for many small traders & service providers.
- Lesser Compliance: The number of Compliance under GST is less as compared to other taxes. All the filings can be filed online, also. Corpbiz can help you in filing the GST Returns online.
- Regularised Organised Sector: The textile & construction sector in India was largely unregulated & unorganised in India. Under GST, there are various provisions where this compliance can be met online. This has brought considerable accountability & regulation to these industries.
- Composition Scheme for Small Businesses: Under GST (Goods & Services Tax), small businesses with an annual turnover of Rs. 20 lakhs to 75 lakhs can benefit as it gives the option to lower taxes by utilising the Composition Scheme. This has brought down the tax & compliance burden on many small businesses.
- Improved Efficiency of Logistics: In the past, the logistics industry in India had to maintain various warehouses across states to avoid the current CST & state entry taxes on inter-state movement. Under GST, these restrictions on the inter-state movement of products have been lessened.
Who can Apply for GST Registration in Chennai?
The following individuals can apply for GST Registration in Chennai:
- Any business or Company whose aggregate turnover in a Financial Year (FY) exceeds Rs 20 lakhs.
- Every person or individual who is registered under a past law of taxation (i.e., Excise, Service Tax, VAT, etc.) needs to get registered under Goods and Service Tax.
- Any entity or supplier dealing in inter-state supply of goods.
- Casual taxable person.
Agents of a supplier.
- Non-Resident taxable person.
- A p
- erson paying tax under the reverse charge mechanism
- Input service distributor and its agent
- E-Commerce operator or aggregator
- A Person who supplies through an E-commerce aggregator.
- Entities who are providing online information, acquiring databases, or retrieval services from a place located outside India to a person or an individual in India other than a registered taxable person.
Note- Here, Person or individual means any Sole Proprietor, Partnership Firm, Company, LLP, HUF, Any Corporation Or Government Company, Body Corporate Incorporated under the Laws of a Foreign Country, Administrative Authority, Co-Operative Society, Regional Authority, Trust, an Artificial Juridical Person.
Documents Required for GST Registration in Chennai
Depending upon the business type, the following crucial documents are required for GST Registration in Chennai:
- For Sole Proprietorship or Individual: Documents required for Sole Proprietorship or individual are as follows:-
- For Partnership Firm or LLP: Documents required for Partnership or LLP are as follows:-
- For Company- Crucial Documents required for a Company are as follows:-
Note- The Authorised Signatory Must Be an Indian Resident, even in Case Of Foreign Companies or Branch Registration.
- For HUF: Documents required for HUF are as follows:-
Procedure for GST Registration in Chennai
Following is the step-by-step procedure for GST Registration in Chennai:
- First, provide all the required business details to our experts.
- Then, your application will be assigned to one of our dedicated GST experts.
- Our expert shall carefully examine the correctness & accuracy of the documents and file the application form for GST Registration.
- Our professional shall make regular follow-ups with the Government Department to process the GST application online.
- Upon obtaining GSTIN, we will provide GST Registration Certificate to you.
Entities and Individuals Exempted from Obtaining GST Registration in Bangalore
The following are the entities and individuals exempted from obtaining GST Registration in Bangalore:
- Activities that are neither supply of goods nor services
- Persons falling under Threshold Exemption Limit;
- Persons involved in making only supplies covered under Reverse Charge;
- Persons making Non Taxable or Non-GST supplies of Goods and Services;
- Persons are making nil-rated or exempt supplies of goods and services.
Penalty for Not Obtaining GST Registration
An offender or individual not paying tax or making short payments should pay a penalty of 10% of the tax amount due, subject to a minimum of Rs. 10,000/-. The penalty will be 100% of the tax amount due when the offender has purposely evaded paying taxes.