Overview of IS 17482:2020 Certification
The BIS Bureau of Indian Standard has made two Indian Standards focusing on drinking water: IS 105-00:2012 on Drinking Water- Specification and IS 17482:2020 on Drinking Water Supply Management System- Requirements for Piped Drinking Water Supply.
The world's biggest challenge of the 21st century is potable water, both in terms of management of available water resources and access to drinking water. Honouring the vision of the Indian Government's Jal Jeevan Mission, this Indian Standard IS 17482:2020 has been adopted by the BIS after the draft, which was finalised by the Public Drinking Water Services Sectional Committee has been approved by the Service Sector Divisional Council. Water Supply is a subject to be dealt with by States, and it is the responsibility of the State Government or Urban Local Bodies to plan, design, execute, operate and maintain the water supply system.
This standard, IS 17482:2020, specifies the requirements for the Management System of drinking water supplier or utility and for the assessment of piped drinking water supply services where the water supplier or utility focuses on:
- The need to demonstrate its ability and performance to provide drinking water consistently and utility service related to same while ensuring compliance with all the statutory and regulatory guidelines, and
- Aiming at ensuring a continuous supply of piped drinking water at the acceptable limit of IS 10500.
Piped Drinking Water Supply Service Management System
For obtaining the IS 17482:2020 Certification, it is required to understand the Water Utility or Supplier and its context. The Water Supplier or utility determines relevant external and internal issues, including its resources' sustainability and strategic direction. It also determines such issues that affect the ability of the Organisation to achieve the intended results of its Management System. The water supplier or utility monitors and reviews information about the external and internal issues.
The water supplier or utility must identify the followings:
The water supplier or utility must establish, implement, operate, maintain and continuously improve a Piped Drinking Water Supply Service Management System, including the necessary process and related interactions per the requirements of IS 17482:2020. The water supplier or utility must ensure the followings:
Benefits of IS 17482:2020 Certification
The followings are the benefits of obtaining the IS 17482:2020 Certification:
Pre-requisites for IS 17482:2020 Certification
The prior requirements that need to be there with the water supplier or utility are as follows:
- Leadership and Commitment
- Organisational Roles, Responsibilities and Authorities
- Actions to address Risks and Opportunities
- Objectives for Drinking Water Supplier or Utility
- Planning of Changes
- Documented Information
- Operational Planning and Control
- Requirements for Piped Drinking Water and Related Services
- Changes to Requirements for Drinking Water Quality and Related Services
- Control of Externally Provided Processes, products and Services
- Production and Service Requirements
- Release of Piped Drinking Water and Sampling
- Performance of Water Supplier or Utility
- Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis and Evaluation
- Internal Audit
- Management Review
- Non-Conformity and Corrective Actions
- Continual Improvement
Documents Required for IS 17482:2020 Certification
Following are the documents related to the Drinking Water Supply Management System required to obtain IS 17482:2020 Certification:
Procedure to obtain IS 17482:2020 Certification
Steps an applicant require to follow while getting IS 17482:2020 Certification from the BIS are as follows:
- BIS conducts audits in two stages: Stage I comprises the Adequacy Audit and Preliminary Visit, and Stage II comprises the Initial (Certification) Audit.
- Stage I Audit BIS examines the Organisation's Quality Manual to verify compliance with relevant standards.
- BIS Officials visit the premises to know the size, nature, location and site-specific conditions with status and level of implementation of Piped Drinking Water Supply Service Management System, including the evaluation of internal audit and management review undertaken by the Organisation.
- Any omission or deviations from the prescribed requirements intimated by BIS is corrected by the applicant and intimated to the BIS to proceed further with the application process.
- A formal report is submitted to the applicant by the team leader of the Audit team of BIS officials.
- Stage II Audit->An Audit team of BIS officials conducts the Initial (Certification) Audit to evaluate the implementation, effectiveness, and Organisation's Piped Drinking Water Supply Service Management System complying with the relevant BIS standards, procedures and activities as stated in the documented management system.
- The audit team leader conducts a meeting with the management head of the Organisation and all other heads of different departments. This is an open meeting conducted to confirm the audit plan.
- The audit is carried out as per the audit plan, and the audit team records observations.
- With the members of the opening meeting, a closing meeting is also conducted by the audit team of BIS.
Corpbiz Assistance in obtaining IS 17482:2020 Certification
Frequently Asked Questions
BIS has made the following two Indian Standards:
- IS 10500:2012 on Drinking Water-Specification
- IS 17482:2020 on Drinking Water Supply Management System- Requirements for Piped Drinking Water Supply