Overview of Registration of Legal Metrology West Bengal
The West Bengal Legal Metrology Organisation was established in 1959 under the administrative control of the Commerce and Industries Department, Government of West Bengal and brought under the Consumer Affairs Department in June 2002. On 21st January 2003, it was upgraded to a full-fledged directorate as the Directorate of Legal Metrology, and this Directorate works in close collaboration with the Government of India in maintaining the set standards.
The Directorate is committed to safeguarding the interests of consumers caused by fraudulent use of weights and measures and suppression of valuable information or misrepresentation on packages of products by manufacturers, packers, importers and traders by implementing the following Acts and Rules:
- Legal Metrology Act, 2009
- Legal Metrology (General) Rules, 2011
- Legal Metrology (Numeration) Rules, 2011
- Legal Metrology (Natural Standards) Rules, 2011
- Legal Metrology (Approval of Models) Rules, 2011
- Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011
- Indian Institute of Legal Metrology Rules, 2011
- West Bengal Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules, 2011
The Directorate also puts efforts into the following activities:
- Increase collection of non-tax revenue
- Covers a maximum number of markets and traders for verification of weights and measures used by them
- Check malpractices and fraud committed by way of short supply than the prescribed weights and charging beyond the market price (MRP)
- Educating manufacturing and trading communities on various provisions of the different Acts and Rules.
The Directorate has field offices in all of its sub-division, with two offices in Kolkata. It has two Secondary Standard Laboratories at Kolkata and Siliguri for verifying and repairing working standards maintained by these field offices. The said Laboratories also approve models of different weights, measures, and balances manufactured in the State of West Bengal. The officers of the Directorate regularly check weights, weighing instruments, length measures, capacity measures, Petrol or Diesel Dispensers, Vehicle tanks, bulk meters and weighbridges owned and used by the traders, retailers, business houses, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for getting registered under Legal Metrology West Bengal
The applicant should satisfy the following eligibility criteria to get their registration done by the Directorate of Legal Metrology of West Bengal:
- He must be a Citizen of India
- He must have completed 18 years of age
- He must be an individual or company registered under Government Act
- He must have one year of experience or the required educational qualification
Benefits of acquiring Legal Metrology West Bengal Registration
The benefits of obtaining Registration from the Directorate of Legal Metrology Wes Bengal are as follows:
- Minimising Cost of transactions:
Revising poor measuring practices often consumes time and costs, negatively affecting consumers and businesses. It also hampers goodwill of the business; however, on the other side, if the measurement is performed correctly and accurately following the requirements of Legal Metrology Laws, it reduces or minimises Cost and time.
- Supporting Trade:
Legal Metrology West Bengal is policing unfair and illegal trade practices and aiming to ensure that the measuring instruments are in proper working condition to fulfil their intended purposes and meet international standards.
- Getting Government funds:
Excise duties are imposed on products manufactured/produced, sold, imported and exported and also taxes on the measurements to generate money. The department of Legal Metrology of West Bengal focuses on ensuring that no injustice or unfair practice is done against both businesses and the government in paying taxes.
- Minimising technical Trade Barriers:
Legal Metrology West Bengal minimises the burden of barriers at a technical level and promotes or improves measuring clarity. Few barriers maximise national morale, encourage people to participate in global commercial market, & enhance national economic growth. A business can, with its help, ignore useless barriers in the adoption process, application and assessment of technical rules or regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures.
- Build consumer trust and confidence:
When consumers know that they are buying or receiving a product verified & registered under Legal Metrology Laws, it boosts their confidence and trust in the products and businesses and ultimately ends in a healthy trading relationship.
Document required for Legal Metrology West Bengal Registration
The list of documents required to obtain the Registration from the Directorate of Legal Metrology of the State, West Bengal, is as follows:
- Application in the prescribed Form
- Identity Proof
- Certificate of Registration of Industry
- NOC from the competent authority
- Employee copies of Appointment Letters with other details such as their photographs, qualifications and Experience Certificate
- List of Machinery, tools and accessories with the purchase bills or receipts
- GST Registration Certificate
- Tax Registration Certificate
- Valid Labour License
- Two passport-size photos
- Valid documents regarding proprietorship
- If the firm is not proprietorship, then partnership deed attested by First Class Magistrate/Notary/ Oath Commissioner and in case of Private Company, MOA approved by Ministry of Company Affairs of Government of India.
- Ownership proof, proof of rent or lease agreement and NOC from the owner and NOC from the member if a family owns the premises.
- PAN Card
- Latest Utility Bill
- Aadhar Card of Directors
- Any other required document
Procedure of Registration under Legal Metrology West Bengal
The step-by-step procedure to obtain Registration from the Directorate of Legal Metrology of West Bengal is as follows:
- Applicant files application in the prescribed Form under the Legal Metrology Act 2009
- After filing the application form, the applicant attaches all the required documents.
- The applicant submits the application and the documents with the requisite fee to the receiving authority of the Legal Metrology Directorate of West Bengal.
- The application is handed over to the inspection team or authority (Local Senior Inspector/Inspector).
- The inspection team/authority then conducts an inspection of the premises and verifies the documents submitted. Once the due diligence is finished, they prepare a report and submit it along with the application to the Licensing Department/Authority.
- After receiving the application and report, the Licensing Department/Authority constitutes a committee to examine and test the capabilities and competencies of the applicant. Accordingly, the committee prepares the report and sends it to Issuing Authority.
- The Issuing Authority, after examining and finding the application suitable, grants the Registration Certificate to the applicant.
- The Registration Certificate issued to the applicant is valid for a minimum period of one year.
Corpbiz assistance in obtaining Registration from Legal Metrology West Bengal
- Purchase a Plan for Expert Assistance
- Add Queries Regarding such Registration
- Provide Documents to Corpbiz Expert
- Prepare Application
- Complete Procedural Actions
- Get your work done!