Overview of Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate
A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) includes information about potential risks and hazards to workers handling toxic substances. It is a technical document that provides a piece of comprehensive information on a controlled product related to:
- Health effects of exposure to the products
- Hazard evaluation with respect to the product’s handling, use or storage
- Measures to protect workers at risk of exposure
- Emergency procedures
The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) helps workers, consumers, manufacturers, exporters and importers in avoiding exposure to hazardous materials. It contains detailed information on the chemical composition of products and preventive measures associated with hazardous chemicals.
Material Safety Data Sheet is required by law in many countries for importing hazardous products/materials. So, the exporters of such products are also bound to have Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for their shipment. The primary purpose of this safety data sheet is to act as a reference for the safety, handling and transporting the chemical or hazardous products.
Contents of Medical Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate
The contents of such Medical Safety Data Sheet Certificate vary depending upon the nature of the substance/product and the manufacturer; however, it typically contains the following information:
- Identification of substance
- Information about the manufacturer
- Physical information, for e.g., boiling point
- Chemical composition of substance/product
- Personal protective equipment that is required at the time of using such a product
- Safe handling method
- Toxicology information
- Ecology information
- Regular information
- Transportation information
- Accidental release measures
- Fire Fighting Measures
- First aid measures and procedures in the event of accidental exposure
- Stability and Reactivity of the substance
- An appropriate way of disposal/disposal method
- Safe use and storage of product
- Other information
Benefits of Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate
MSDS is basically a technical document for transmitting product safety information. The main benefits of having an MSDS Certificate are as follows:
- It provides hazardous information about chemicals and protects users of chemical products.
- It ensures safe operation and provides technical information for the development of safe operating procedures for hazardous chemicals.
- It provides all technical information to facilitate any emergency assistance and emergency response.
- It is a complete guide to the safe use, production, circulation and storage of chemicals or any such product.
- It is an important foundation source of information for chemical registration management.
Documents Required for Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate
Following are documents required for MSDS Certificate are as follows:
- IEC Code
- GST Registration Certificate
- Ingredients of the Product
- Details of the Product with image
- Details of the company including email ID, website, telephone no.
Procedure for Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate
Steps for obtaining Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate are as follows:
- Details and Documentation
The applicant for MSDS Certificate has to provide all the necessary information and details to Corpbiz. All those documents required for MSDS Certificate need to be submitted by the applicant to us.
- Fee Payment for MSDS
A team of experts at Corpbiz will conduct vetting of the documents provided by the applicants, and on successful vetting, the applicant has to pay the required fees for the MSDS Certificate.
- Preparation of MSDS Certificate
After receiving the required details and the fees, we prepare a defined format for the applicant. The MSDS Certificate that we prepare comprises all the details such as chemical or physical properties or characteristics, first aid, safety measures, etc.
- MSDS Certificate to the applicant
Once we prepare the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Certificate, we send it to the applicant. The applicant can now use it with their products.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a total of 16 sections in the MSDS/MSDS Certificate. These sections are divided into all possible measures and details to be provided related to the hazardous chemical substance or product with which the organisation is dealing.
Manufacturers or importers of any hazardous products or substances require MSDS Certificate.
In India, one can get the MSDS Certificate with a professional. We at Corpbiz have a team of experts to prepare such a certificate for you.
The main focus of this MSDS Certificate is to show the risks associated with using chemical and hazardous materials/substances.
The Regulatory Information section contains all the required details of the national regulations or any other regulations related to the products and chemicals used. It provides all the limitations and prohibitive regulations that are applicable to such products or substances.
The information provided under the section of other information is that the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is totally based upon the current level of information available and for specifying the requirements regarding environment, human health and safety in conjunction with the product.
The basic information that is provided about the physical and chemical properties of the product must contain are as follows:
- Melting point/melting range
- Boiling point
- Flash point
- Decomposition temperature
- Auto ignition temperature
- Danger of explosion
- pH (value)
- vapour pressure
- per cent volatile by volume
- solubility in miscibility with water