Overview of IATF 16949 Certification
The Automotive Quality Management System Standard is commonly known as IATF 16949. The title for this Automotive QMS Standard, "IATF 16949", is a registered trademark of the International Task Force (IATF). It aims at defining the fundamental quality management system requirements for automotive production and relevant service parts organisations. IATF created this in 1999 to harmonise the different assessment and certification systems globally in the supply chain for the automotive sector. Later it introduced a common set of techniques and methods for a common product and process development for automotive manufacturing globally. It aims the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasising defect prevention as well as reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain. IATF 16949 Certification is required to achieve and maintain IATF recognition.
IATF 16949 defines the quality management system requirements for design and development, production and relevant assembly, installation and services of all automotive-related products, including products with embedded software. This standard is applicable to sites of the organisation where customer-specified production parts, service parts and accessory parts are manufactured. This standard is applicable throughout the supply chain of an automotive.
Benefits of IATF 16949 Certification
Following are the benefits of the Automotive Quality Management System, IATF 16949 Certification:
Prerequisites for IATF 16949 Certification
The following are the prerequisites for obtaining the IATF 16949 Certification:
- ISO 9001:2015 requirements- Understanding organisation and its context, understanding the needs & expectations of interested parties and determining the scope of the quality management system (QMS).
- Leadership and Commitment- Corporate responsibility, process effectiveness and efficiency and process owners.
- Policy- establishing quality policy, communicating the quality policy and organisational roles, responsibilities and authorities.
- Planning- actions to address risks and opportunities, risk analysis, preventive action, contingency plan, quality objectives and planning of changes.
- Resources- facility, environment for operation of processes, plant and equipment planning, people and infrastructure. Measurement system analysis, measuring and monitoring resources and measurement traceability.
- Clarification or verification records
- Laboratory requirements – internal and external laboratory
- Organisation knowledge
- Competence- supplemental, on-the-job training, internal auditor and second-party auditor competency.
- Awareness- supplemental and employee motivation and empowerment.
- Necessary Papers and information
- Record retention
- Engineering specification
- Operational planning and control- supplemental and confidentiality
- Requirements for products and services
- Customer communication and customer-designed special characteristics
- Organisation manufacturing feasibility
- Design and development of products and services
- Product design skills
- Design and development planning
- Development of a product with embedded software
- Design and development validation
- Prototype programme
- Product approval
- Directed-buy or customer-directed sources
- Statutory and regulatory requirements
- supplier monitoring
- second party audits
- supplier development
- information for external providers
- control plan
- standardised work- operator instructions and visual standard
- verification- of job set-ups and after shutdown
- total productive maintenance
- production schedule
- identification and traceability
- property belonging to customers or external providers
- control of changes
- temporary change of process control
- release of products and services
- appearance items
- verification and acceptance of conformity of externally provided products and services
- performance evaluation
Book a Free Consultation
Get response within 24 hours
Necessary Papers Required for IATF 16949 Certification
The following are the necessary papers required for IATF 16949 Certification:
Procedure required for IATF 16949 Certification
Following are four essential steps to be followed while obtaining IATF 16949 Certification under the Automotive Quality Management System:
- Optional Preliminary Audit
A voluntary Site inspection is done, and then Automotive Quality Management System necessary papers are reviewed, assessing the organisation's readiness for the scale I and II Auditing Phase.
- Audit: Stage I
Assessment of the eligibility for IATF 16949 Certification is understood and determined by results of on-site Auditing and Automotive Quality Management System necessary papers analysis.
- Audit: Stage II
On-site evaluation of the Automotive Quality Management System standard for excellence in areas where practice and efficiency are applied.
An official confirmation grants Automotive Quality Management System integrity and compliance with the Standards, and thus finally grants the IATF 16949 Certification.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Customers specify the requirement of this standard as part of the contract
- Organisations need to improve their products and customer satisfaction
- Advanced Product Quality Planning
- Production Part Approval Process
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
- Measurement System Analysis
- Statistical Process Control