Overview of Copyright for a Synchronization License
A synchronization license is a license granted by the owner of a copyrighted composition (song) to the music user, that permits the music user to release the song in a video format, and this permission is called synchronization rights. It is also termed as synch or sync right.
Whenever a music user releases a recording of a song that someone else wrote in a video format, even if it is just a small portion of the song, an entity or person needs a synchronization license.
Copyright for Synchronization license is most commonly used for the following vedios:-
- YouTube videos,
- Cover song videos,
- Wedding videos, and
- Commercial and corporate videos.
For example, if a music user releases a YouTube video of your band playing a Buzzfeed song, even if you use only a portion of the song, you need a synchronization license. If you release a DVD of yourself playing a Mashable song or singing Mariah Carey lyrics, you need a synchronization license.
Copyright for synchronization license is required no matter how small a portion of the song you use, each song part requires a separate synchronization license.Note-A person does not need a synchronization license for songs that he/she wrote himself/herself or songs that are in the public domain.
If a person uses an original recording belonging to someone else,he/she will require a Copyright for a synchronization license. The licensee will paythe composer for the right to use the composition. Even if you are using only a small part ofthe portion of any existing copyrighted video recording this license is required.
Why it is Essential to get Copyright for a Synchronization license?
- An entity or a person needs a synchronization license when you attempt to release a recording of a song that is already established and published by someone else in a video format, even though it is just a small part of the song. This license is most commonly used for the people who upload videos based on any other origin of the song.
- If a music user releases a Compact Disk of yourself playing the piano or singing your favorite song lyrics, you need a synchronization license.
- The license is needed no matter how small a part of the composition has been used. You must take note that for medleys, the section of each song requires a separate synchronization license.
- Copyright for synchronization license for YouTube can also be obtained which is useful for many upcoming artists.
Key Features of Copyright for Synchronization License
The key features of Copyright for Synchronization license are-
- A Synchronization license is a license granted by the holder of the copyright of a particular song, permitting the music user to synchronize music with some kind of video media output.
- This license is issued to protect the composition.
- This license is custom negotiated directly with the holder of the copyright composition.
- A Synchronization license pays a royalty to the holder of the copyright composition.
Trademark Class 43
What Documents are Essential for obtaining the Copyright for the Synchronization license?
The Below-mentioned documents are essential for obtaining the copyrightfor the Synchronization license:
What are the Benefits of Copyright for Synchronization license?
Copyright for Synchronization license is a legal declaration used to convey the rights that the holder of the copyright composition possesses. By obtaining the license, the owner will be able to acknowledge the ownership of his/her work and can permit the music user to use the composition in video form. Hence, the music owner should protect his work by registering for copyright for theSynchronization license.The advantages of Copyright for Synchronization license are-
- It protects various components of Synchronization such as lyrics, Composition of music and all the related work, etc.
- The rights subsisting in a Synchronization license can be assigned, reassigned, and licensed.
- The owner of the copyrighted Synchronization license can permit the music user to synchronize music with some kind of visual media output.
- The Music owner/holder of the copyright music can perform the work in public and can also make certain changes in the work etc.
- The Music owner can suit a person who has breached the copyright to the court.
- Through Copyright for Synchronization license, the public will notice the work you have performed that helps in generating high revenue and profits.
- It restricts changes and dissembling of original work of the owner.
How to Obtain the Copyright for Synchronization License?
For obtaining the Copyright for Synchronization license, the first step is to get in contact with the owner of the composition. All you have to do is to contact the maker of the song and ask for the Synchronization License. Once you contact the owner, you need to request for a ‘Synchronization license’.
The music owner will issue the license to sync the part of their music to the applicant’s video by putting certain restrictions i.e. how to use the song. Also, the owner can charge a hefty sum of amount for using the song. If we talk about royalty, currently, there are no standards of how much an applicant will have to pay for obtaining this license.
How Corpbiz helps its Clients in Copyright for Synchronization License?
Corpbiz helps its client in Copyright Registration by providing services like Filing the application, arrangement of documents, and resolving the discrepancies (If arises). Corpbiz also offers various services related to Copyright, Patent, and Trademark. Our experts will assist you by providing the legal advice related to copyright registration and its compliances and support you throughout right from the application, collecting the information, till your work gets registered. The entire process of Copyright for Synchronization License is done online so there is no need for you to go out and follow up with the government authorities. Our team will take care of all the mandatory requirements as well. Corpbiz helps in-
- Free consultancy from our experts,
- Process Application of Copyright registration,
- Assists in Documentation as per the requirement,
- Filing of Copyright Application and follow up with the authority,
- Quality services at pocket price.
- Helps in Proper execution of literary Copyright work.
We at Corpbiz have trained professionals to help you throughout the Copyright Registration procedure. Our Experts will guide and assist you with the whole process of filing the applications for copyright and related services and also ensures the timely and effective completion of your work. Any person having queries about what category his/her work might fall under the copyright Act or having trouble in applying copyright within the correct category, feel free to contact our experienced and trained professionals at Corpbiz.
Frequently Asked Questions
The copyright in a Synchronization licenseis owned by the maker of the song individual who writes or records an original song owns the copyright.
Copyright for Synchronization licenseis essential as -
- It Protects the prestige of the maker of the composition,
- Attracts Public attention,
- Helps in protecting the copyrighted work and makes the owner stand out in the public.
- It helps in protecting the owner from the financial loss.
- Restricts unauthorized use of the composition.
- Worldwide protection and Branding.
A synchronization license is a license issued by the maker to the music user that must be secured before distribution. However, obtaining a Copyright for Synchronization licenseis hard to get, it is suggested that a person shall make a request many months before the anticipated release date.
The five exclusive rights given to the maker of Synchronization licenseare-
- Rights of reproduction,
- Rights of adaptation,
- Rights of publication,
- Right to perform,
- Right to display.
A licensee pays a royalty to the owner of the copyright holder who owns the original version of the composition.
The synchronization license cost can range from a few hundred dollars for a small project to a few hundred thousand dollars for a major artist whose song is being used in a big-budget production.
A Sync request is an agreement between a music user and the owner of a copyrighted composition, where permission is granted to release the song in a video format.
The four main types of royalties paid to the holder of the Compositionare-
- Public performance,
- Print music.
When a music user synchronizes a device with the computer or laptop, the syncing process results in both the device where the computer gets re-equipped with the most up to the minute files.
The synchronization licenses are for video products. However, if a person is creating an audio-only product, he needs a Mechanical license.In a nutshell Mechanical is for audio and synchronization is for video.