An Overview of BOCW Punjab Registration
The Government of India has introduced the BOCW Act, 1996 and this Act is social welfare legislation that intends to benefit workers engaged in building & construction activities across the country. However, every state has their own BOCW Boards, and in the case of Punjab, it is mandatory to apply for the Registration of BOCW Punjab to resolve the problems of unskilled workers who work in dangerous conditions in Punjab. The ambit of the BOCW Act is extensive, particularly in a country where the infrastructure & construction sectors have seen significant growth. The object of this Act, as well as its framework, is analogous to other labour law legislation, but in specific, this Act is similar to the Factories Act of 1948.
Where the BOCW Act Applies?
It applies to every establishment that employs ten or more building workers on any day of the preceding 12 months in any building or other construction work.
Who is required to obtain BOCW Punjab Registration Certificate?
- Every employer shall:
1. Concerning an establishment to which the BOCW Act applies on its commencement within a period of 60 days from such commencement;
2. Regarding any other establishment to which the BOCW Act is applicable to any time after such commencement within 60 days of the period from the date on which the BOCW Act becomes applicable to such establishment, given that the registering officer may entertain any such application after the expiry of the given period if he is satisfied that enough cause prevented the applicant from making the application within the prescribed period.
- Every application under sub-section (1) shall be in such form & shall, contain such particulars & shall be accompanied by such fees as prescribed.
- After the application receipt under subsection (1), the registering officer shall register the establishment and issue a Registration Certificate to the employer thereof in such form and within such time & subject to such conditions as prescribed.
- Where, after the registration under this section, any alteration occurs in ownership or management or other prescribed particulars concerning such establishment, the details regarding such alteration shall be intimated by the employer to the officer within 30 days of such alteration in such form as prescribed.
Benefits of BOCW Punjab Registration Certificate
Following are some benefits of obtaining the BOCW Punjab Registration Certificate:
- Death Benefits, Funeral Benefits, and Maternity Benefits;
- Making pension payments;
- Permission for the procurement of work-related tools;
- Prompt medical assistance in case of an accident;
- Facilitating credits for the home construction;
- Covering medical expenditure arising out of significant ailments;
- Child education support.
Documents Required for BOCW Punjab Registration
- Aadhar Card;
- Residence Proof;
- Age Proof;
- Bank account details of the applicant such as account number, bank branch, and IFSC or RTGS Number;
- Details of dependents & employer’s certificate of working for 90 days as construction worker & nomination form.
Procedure for BOCW Punjab Registration
Following is the step by step registration procedure:
Step 1: Employer who wants to apply for BOCW Registration in Punjab needs to first create a login id by simply registering on the official website of BOCW Punjab; you require a valid email id.
Step 2: Once you create a login id, then you need to fill in all the vital information about the establishment, such as an address, workers' details, details of employer or occupier, details of construction and declaration are required.
Step 3: Once you have filled in all the information, then you need to arrange all the vital documents in the prescribed size & formation and attach them to the application form.
Step 4: After the above step, you need to pay the application fee and the fee can be paid offline/online as per the applicant's convenience.
Step 5: If the application and documents are as per the norms & guidelines, then the Registration Certificate is issued.
Note: You can also check the status of their application online at the website and all important updates will be sent on the registered email id and mobile no.
When can Registration Certificate be revoked?
If the officer is satisfied, either on a reference made to him on their behalf or otherwise, the Registration of any establishment has been obtained by suppression or misrepresentation of any material fact or that the provisions of this Act are not being complied concerning any work carried on by any establishment, or that for any other reason the Registration has become ineffective or useless and therefore requires to be cancelled, he or she may, after giving an opportunity to the employer to be heard, revoke the BOCW Punjab Registration.
Punishment or Penalties for the Violation of the Provision of the Act
- Where an employer fails to give a commencement notice of the building or other construction work under Section 46, he or she shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may be extended to 3 months or with a fine which may extend Rs. 2,000/- or with both;
- Whoever wilfully rejects to produce in the demand of an inspector, any register or other document kept in fulfilment of this BOCW Act or prevented or attempts to prevent or does anything which he/she has reason to believe is likely to prevent any individual from appearing before/being inspected by an inspector acting in the undertaking of their duties under the Act shall be punishable with imprisonment/jail for a term which may extend to 3 months or fine which may extend to Rs. 1,000/0 or with both;
- Whoever interrupts an inspector in the discharge of their duties under the Act or rejects or wilfully neglects to afford under the Act regarding an establishment shall be punishable with imprisonment/jail for a term which may be further extended to 3 months/with a fine of up to Rs. 1,000/- or both.
How Will Corpbiz Help You?
Corpbiz will help your organisation to file & draft the application for the grant of BOCW Punjab Registration Certificate to implement the employment & conditions of service of building & other construction labourers and provide them health & safety.